HERB - Re: Oregon Grape

Beeler LibbyAndColin at webtv.net
Fri Sep 3 02:47:33 PDT 1999

Oregon Grape?   ....... Bayberry?
"Myrica pensylvanica Loisel, of the family Myricaceae, a deciduous shrub
widely distributed throughout the eastern and southern states.  It is
closely related to the wax myrtle Myrica cerifera L., a somewhat larger
evergreen shrub or tree that is also referred to as southern bayberry.
Both species produce small bluish white berries, the wax of which is
used to make the fragrant smelling bayberry candles, popular at
Christmastime." The Honest Herbal (from which I quote) has a nice
section on Bayberry, states it, too, is alkaloid, was used  by the
American Indians (root and bark) in cases of general debility and to
improve appetite.      The interesting part re: soap making is that Dr.
Tayler states "several of the alkaloids in Bayberry exhibit
antibacterial properties, and berberine is also effective against both
amoeba and trypansomes." ......... can anybody say what a "trypansome"
is?       See what ya' all have done?  Now I have an overwhelming urge
to make little soaps for Christmas ............................... I
hope this is of help.
Leberchaulmn