HERB - Grapefruit seed extract

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Fri Sep 3 15:32:56 PDT 1999

Greetings,

Some soap makers say to use grapefruit seed extract as a preservative in
soap.  I have never felt the need.  If you use all animal fat to make soap,
then it does have a shelf-life of a year-ish.  Then the unreacted oils in
the soap turn rancid.  It still is soap, it just doesn't smell very good.

I have soap that is a blend of animal and vegetable which is over 3 years
old and is still pleasant smelling.  The essential oils have long since
fled, but the bar still smells like good soap.

I personally wouldn't worry about using it.  I have also heard that it will
speed the trace on cold process soap.  But if you are using Sandy's recipe
from the Healthy Skin book, you are using pre-made glycerin.  Most glycerin
available commercially for melt and pour is already stabilized with some
sort of preservative.  Save your money and spend it on some other yummy
essential oils to play with!!

I am not a fan of melt and pour, but I wish you good luck and great fun
with soap making!!

Baroness Leonora
Loveland, Colorado, USA
Outlands

At 05:10 PM 9/3/99 -0400, you wrote:

>>Are you sure it's grape*fruit* seed extract
>>
>>Jasmine
>>iasmin de cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com
>
>That what the book said grapefruit seed oil.
>I will check this site out.
>I've been surfing most of the day and have found some sites in England,
>but not the US.
>Sigh.......
>Thanks
>And Thanks to Ldy Diana
>Rhiannon

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

  Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.