HERB - RE: Lion and Locust >The Passage!!!!

M Wolfe mwolfe at nwlink.com
Tue Sep 7 08:30:03 PDT 1999

Glad to be of help!  I suspected that it was a mistranslation issue, but I had
not expected a reading of sea-lion rather than lion.

That particular passage is in volume 3, which is handy because it is also the
volume with the Index!

Aelian: On Animals with an English Translation, Loeb Classical Library,
Harvard
University Press, 1971, (Trans. A. F. Schofield) 3 volumes. American
ISBN 0-674-99491-4

The Loeb series is a handy, (although somewhat expensive)series of works with
original Greek or Latin texts with translations.  The series contains works by
Galen, Aristotle, Pliny the Elder  (10 volumes!) and other key ancient authors
who were cited throughout period.
It will be found in pretty much any University library, so getting it through
interlibrary loan should not be a problem.

At $20 US a volume they aren't bad, but Aelian is 3 volumes, and Pliny is 10.
That is the point at which they become spendy!

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori  (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)  An Tir A&S
Champion
or, non- SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....