HERB - Kava kava

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Tue Sep 14 20:26:23 PDT 1999

Damiana [Tuneria diffusa] is something of a stimulant  and has a long
reputation as an aphrodisiac.   This is not particularly the best herb to
take along with Kava-kava [Piper methysticum], but it happened to be the
one which crossed my mind when I posted.  Kava-kava also has a reputation
as an aphrodisiac.

Damiana tends to act on the urinary tract, and also serves as something of
a "brain tonic".  Taken in concert with Kava-kava the two can provide
relaxation and mile euphoria, or it too much is taken it can provide
something of a marijuana like high.  Prolonged use of Damiana can cause
liver problems.  Either herb tends not to be a problem in small doses, but
can be very potent in large doses.  And as with anything which can have
mind altering effects, they deserve to be treated with respect and some
degree of caution.

A somewhat more common blend would be Damiana and Saw Palmetto [Serona
repens] which also works on the urinary tract, but lacks the hypnotic side
effects of Kava-kava.

At 06:08 PM 9/14/99 , you wrote:

>Thank-you, Rauthulfr, that is what I use if for.  I do
>not know anything about damiana, thou.
>Would you say more about it?
>
>Dorothy

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori  (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)  An Tir A&S
Champion
or, non- SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....