HERB - Cucumbers

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Sat Sep 25 20:21:47 PDT 1999

I'm sorry, I promised to post this early last week.  I'd forgotten the
original actually calls for verjuice instead of vinegar, but it works equally
well this way.  This edition is just past 1600, but there was an earlier
edition, about 1596 I think.

A different pickle recipe, using vinegar and caraway, can be found in EIN
BUCH VON GUTER SPISE, recipe #48.  I haven't tried it myself, though.
http://www.cs.bu.edu/students/grads/akatlas/buch/recipes.html#recipe48

 - Raisya

from DELIGHTES FOR LADIES
by Sir Hugh Plat, 1609  (there is an earlier edition)

TO PRESERVE COWCUMBERS ALL THE YEERE.

    You may take a gallon of faire water, and a pottle of veriuyce, and a
pinte of bay salt, and a handfull of greene Fennell or Dill:  boile it a
little, and when it is cold put it into a barrel, and then put your
cowcumbers into that pickle, and you shall keepe them all the yeere.

    I make a half batch, starting with a half gallon of distilled water, a
quart of wine vinegar, a cup of sea salt and a tablespoon or two of dill (or
fennel).  I boil the mixture for about 5 minutes, then cool it before adding
sliced cucumbers.  I usually let it sit on the counter for a couple of days,
then refrigerate.  These are pretty good within a week, and within a couple
of weeks they start disappearing fast.