HERB - acorns

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Thu Sep 30 10:03:27 PDT 1999

Our pin oak is producing a bumper crop this year too, although the acorns
aren't very big.  Interestingly enough, the sprouts we get in the yard
every year are not all pin oaks.  The local squirrels seem to range far
and wide collecting and burying acorns.  We have friends who bought an
acreage in the country who come here in the fall and take away many of
the seedlings to replant at their place.  Sometimes I pot some and use
them for table decor/door prizes at events.   Pin oak is a red oak and
the acorns take 2 years to ripen.  Red oaks have points on the lobes of
their leaves.  The white oaks produce acorns annually.  White oak acorns
have less tannin and are considered the 'sweet' (not bitter) acorns.
White oaks have rounded lobes on their leaves.

Hertha