HERB - confession

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Thu Sep 30 15:15:31 PDT 1999

I would agree that offering to e-mail what ever you can put together should
be an OK option!  After all even though not all of us have e-mail, pretty
much all of us knows someone who does!

The classes sound interesting!  I'm doing some related classes for the
Known World Chirurgeon Symposium:  Poison prevention and Period Medicinals:
Don't try this at home.

The first class includes a series of absolutely trustworthy proofs to
insure that your Unicorn's horn is indeed the real thing, and a number of
theories/cures for poison used throughout the Middle Ages.

The other class has two wonderful recipes for Sublimate by Nostradamus.
Both use lead and various mercury compounds.  There is an interesting
discussion of the dangers of Basil and how it breeds scorpions.  As well as
comparisons between some of Macer's recipes and those found in Banckes'
Herbal.  And then there is a nice couple of recipes for how to drug some of
your guests for the amusement of your other guests with Mandragora,
Nightshade, and Stramonium.  Those Italians were such interesting hosts!

The challenge is that it's about a 4 hour class, and I only get 75 minutes
to teach it!

At 01:23 PM 9/30/99 , you wrote:
> And I'm
>teaching a class they labeled in the program as "Icky Things: The Nastier
Side of Period Medicine". >I'm going to try and cover the yucky things they
did for medicine by modern standards and why >some of them really do work
or are still used today.

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori  (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)
An Tir Arts & Sciences Champion AS: XXXIII-XXXIV
or, non- SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....