HERB - hound decontamination ....

Lynette lklc at prodigy.net
Thu Sep 30 15:16:07 PDT 1999

Pennyroyal is an abortifacient.  So if this is a pregnant female and you
want the litter I'd avoid it.  Otherwise I've seen it used widely for
animals.  It grows easily actually I've not been aware of dogs being
inclined to ingest this (but then I don't follow them around all day)
In small amounts humans can and do safely eat the leaves.   Notice I said
small amounts.   The big danger is from the oil because oils are very very
concentrated and a very tiny amount is comparable to a very very large
amount of the leaves.
The oil can be very toxic to humans and animals if ingested.
Pulegone is thought to be responsible for the toxic organ effects of
pennyroyal oil in animals and humans.  These toxins are destructive to liver
and kidney tissue.
The tragedies we hear about are when it is used as an abortifaciaent because
it takes near fatal doses of the oil to accomplish its task.
Ask your vet but I am willing to bet he'll say that stuffing a pillow with
the dry leaves for his bed is a good idea.  It is a safer repellent than
anything else when used this way.  I've bought pet, dips, collars sprays
etc.that featured pennyroyal.  Consider combining it with eucalyptus.
Besides being safer it sure smells better than the chemical stuff .
I grew it and had a Chihuahua that insisted daily,  on smelling every herb
in the garden.

If using the oil for repellent use one to 8 drops applied to skin or
clothing.  You might try steeping the oil or leaves in water.  This is great
to keep bothering you.  Beats citronella (phew)