HERB - Spices from the East...

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Thu Sep 30 21:35:52 PDT 1999

To which you might add:  Yellow sandalwood, gum benzoin, Mace, Grains of
paradise, and Cardamom, Valerian ["Nard" unless that is what you mean by
spikenard], World Spice in the Pike Place Market, Seattle carries two
Cassia Cinnamons [one is much sweeter than the other] and Cinnamonum Verum
[From Mexico, very mild], Tenzing Momo also in the Pike place market
carries Cinnamonum Zyalanicum [which is misspelled, but which is milder
than the Cassia, but not as mild as C. Vera], and also carries Saunders
[Red Sandalwood and the main red food coloring in period]

Well if you want an excuse to check out a great source for hard to find
herbs:  World Spice can be found at <http://www.worldspice.com>  Tony has
been great at finding obscure herbs for both the  An Tir Herbal Guild, and
the Madrone Culinary Guild.   So he's extremely SCA friendly, (we keep his
business interesting).  Which means that you can tell him you are trying to
track down spices for an SCA A&S project and he won't think you're nutz!
Currently he is looking to get some Greater Galangal (more mellow than
lesser Galangal) and another Cassia cinnamon which will be much stronger
than the others.

Tenzing Momo has a sort of a web page at
<http://www.specialtybottle.com/~tenzing/t.html>
but can also be reached at 800-365-9682.  They are the oldest Herbal
apothecary on the West Coast, so they have lots of obscure medicinal herbs.
 For most of the culinary stuff, World Spice is the best place to go!

At 03:16 PM 9/30/99 , you wrote:
>As usual, I'm using a class as an excuse to BUY MORE HERBS! I've
>volunteered to teach a taste-and-smell class at Kingdom Crusades on
>"Spices from the East" and I'll take any suggestions I can get.
>So far, I know I have to cover:
>Labdanum, Myrrh, Frankincese, Spikenard, Cinnamon, Cassia, Cardamom,
Nutmeg, Cloves
>Pepper and Long pepper, Galingale, Cubebs, Sugar!
>
>Other suggestions?
>
>Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
> "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
>(In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)
>
>"The Sons of Mary seldom bother, for they have inherited that good part;
>But the Sons of Martha favour their Mother
>	of the careful soul and the troubled heart.
>And because she lost her temper once,
>	and because she was rude to the Lord her Guest,
>Her Sons must wait upon Mary's Sons, world without end, reprieve, or rest."
>				-- Rudyard Kipling, "The Sons of Martha"

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori  (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)
An Tir Arts & Sciences Champion AS: XXXIII-XXXIV
or, non- SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....