HERB - Spices from the East...

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Sep 30 23:02:35 PDT 1999

In a message dated 09/30/1999 6:14:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jenne at tulgey.browser.net writes:

<<
 As usual, I'm using a class as an excuse to BUY MORE HERBS! I've
 volunteered to teach a taste-and-smell class at Kingdom Crusades on
 "Spices from the East" and I'll take any suggestions I can get.
 So far, I know I have to cover:
 Labdanum, Myrrh, Frankincense, Spikenard
 Cinnamon, Cassia, Cardamom, Nutmeg, Cloves
 Pepper and Long pepper, Galingale, Cubebs
 Sugar!

 Other suggestions?

 Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise       jenne at tulgey.browser.net

    Hummmmm, when did Grains of Paradise hit Europe? Or some of the gums,
like Gum Arabic and Tragacanth? Also, Cumin and Coriander! And you didn't
actually list Ginger, although I'm sure you meant to......... ;-) Oh, and
Saffron! It wasn't grown in Europe until a good bit later, was it? And even
then I think some was imported, at least in some areas........
    Nifty class--any chance you'll post your notes/handouts later on? :-)

                    Ldy Diana