HERB - Period Gardening books was Re: Paradisi in Sole

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Fri Apr 14 14:37:31 PDT 2000

At 04:29 PM 4/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
>snips This may also be one of the first 'modern' gardening books. Parkinson
>divides his work into the flowergarden and the kitchengarden, and begins
>each section with a discourse on general gardening. snip

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa gave us a nice evaluation of the work, and certainly
Paradisi in Sole is the first book on flower gardening.  But there are at
least two fully period works on gardening.   Of these the most
approachable, and actually useful has been recently edited and reprinted:

Hill, Thomas: The Gardener's Labyrinth by Thomas Hill, edited by  Richard
Mabey, Oxford University Press, 1987. [first published in 1577, although
the text which has been reproduced is the 1652 edition.]  This is probably
the first straight forward gardening book as we have come to think of the
term.  It deals much less with plants than Parkinson's does, but on the
other hand, it is filled with "how to" information which is in many cases
still valid.

An example of Hill's content
As to the nature and goodness of a Garden ground, that especially that
ought to be eschewed, is bitter & salt earth of tast, if so be we meane to
make a fertil, commodious and well yeilding ground: for these two natures
of earth, were very much disliked in ancient time, as may appear by the
skilfull Poet Virgil, who sayeth that every earth is not allowed or
commended, for the yeeld of Garden hearbs. For which cause, the mind of the
ancient Husbandman is, that the Gardener by taking up a clod of earth,
should esely trie the goodness of it after this manner: in considering
whether the earth be neither hot and bare, not leane by sand, lacking a
mixture of perfect earth: nor the same found to be wholly chalk, nor
naughty sand: nor barren gravel, nor of the glistering pouder or dust of a
leane stony ground, nor the earth continual moist; for all these be the
special defaults of a good and perfect earth. The best ground for a Garden,
is the same judged to be, which in the Summer time is neither very drie,
nor clayie, nor sandy and rough, nor endamaged with gapings, procured by
heat of the Summer, as the worthy Didimus in his Greek instructions of
Husbandry writeth. Wherefore the earth which in summer time is wont to be
drie, either perisheth or loseth all the seeds sowne, and plants set in it,
or yeildeth those thin, and weak proving on the ground. For the clayie
ground of itselfe, over-bindeth: but the sandy and rough, in a contrary
manner: so that neither is wont to nourish plants, nor retaine water.
Therefore an apt earth for a Garden, shall you readily trie and find out,
if the same thorow wet and dissolved with water, you shall see to have a
much clamminess and fastness. In which ground, if a watriness shall exceed,
then shall you judge the same disagreeable and unfruitful: if dissolving
the earth with water, you shall find the same very clammie, or much
cleaving to the hand and fingers as if it were wax, this earth man you
account as wholly unprofitable. Pliny willeth that a Garden plot before all
other matters done to it, be very well clensed of stone, and to these, that
the earth prove not full of chaps, or but few to be seene, lest the Sun
beames entring between, may so scorch and burne the roots of the plants.
For which cause, the best and gentle or worthiest earth shall be chosen, in
which you mind to commit your seeds: or for the same, that the nurse as a
Mother, may often agree to the fruit, or yeild to be an aider and furtherer
to it.
The Gardener's Labyrinth, Chap. III

The second one tends to be a bit harder to find and to read.  It is written
in sometimes rather forced rhyming couplets!  Tusser gives us pointers on
may things in addition to plants, (such as the duties of a good-wife.)  And
he reorganized and republished his work a number or times with slightly
different titles.

Tusser, Thomas: Fiue Hundred Pointes of Good Husbandrie. Edited (with
introduction, notes, and glossary) by W. Payne, Esq., and Sidney J.
Herrtage, ESQ., B.A., Trübner & Co., London, 1878  [1557, multiple editions
were produced]
An example of Tusser's content:
Junes husbandrie:
A lesson where and when to plant good Hop
19 Whome fancie persuadeth, among other crops,
  to haue for his spending, sufficient of hops,
  Must willinglie follow, of choises to chuse,
  such lessons approoued, as skilfull doo vse.
20 Ground grauellie, sandie, and mixed with clay,
  is naughtie for hops any maner of way;
  Or if it be mingled with rubbish and stone,
  for drines and barrennes, let it alone.
  21 Choose soile for the hop of the rottenest mould,
  well donned and wrought, as a garden plot should:
  Not far from the water (but not ouerflowne)
  this lesson well noted is meete to be knowne.
22 The Sunne in the south, or else southly and west,
is ioy to the hop, as a welcomed gest;
  But wind in the north, or else northerly east,
  to hop is as ill as a fray in a feast.
23  Meete plot for a hopyard once found as is told,
  make thereof account, as of iewell of gold.
  Now dig it and leaue it, the Sunne for to burne,
  and afterward fence it, to serue for that turne.
24 The hop for his profit I thus doo exalt,
  it strengtheneth drinke, and it fauoreth malt.
  And being well brewed, long kept it will last,
  and drawing abide, if ye drawe not too fast.

RauthulfR Meistari inn Orthstori (OL, mCE, P-eX, Et Cetera)
or, non-SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....