HERB - safety of orange bergamot mint

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 24 22:07:13 PDT 2000

>Weirdly, there's a bergamot orange that is an orange (genus _Citrus_)
>
>Agnes
>kkeeler1 at unl.edu

Yes indeed, and this is the bergamot that flavors Earl Grey Tea.

It is from this that the bergamot mint gets its name, not the other way 'round.

Bergamot citrus is original source of bergamot scented oil, although
if you make potpourris these days it's likely to be synthetic.
Natural oil isn't cheap.

I have a jar of preserved bergamot "oranges" made in Greece. They are
tiny, about 1 to 1/1/2 inches in diameter, quite spherical, and
darker than most limes. They've been cooked in syrup. I bring them to
events and eat them with yogurt and ricotta. I can assure you that
you wouldn't want to eat them "fresh" off the tree, as that way
they're bitter.

Anahita al-shazhiyya