HERB - Echinacea & Ragweed

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Sun Apr 30 07:42:13 PDT 2000

Kathleen Keeler wrote:

> Hi ya-all
>
> Echinacea is a composite (family Asteraceae, aka Compositae).  So are
> sunflowers, chrysanthemums, chickory, asters, zinnias, calendula, marigolds,
> jerusalem artichokes, artichokes, thistles like musk thistle, and Canada
> thistle, chamomile, lettuce, sagebrushes, wormwood and mugwort  (_Artemisia_
> species) and ragweed.
>

> So, yes, they think the chemicals people are allergic to in ragweed are likely
> enough to be found in any other member of the family that if you are allergic
> to ragweed you should avoid them.
>
> Of the websites I could find talking about hte family, this had a picture of
> ragweed and other Asteraceae
>
> http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/201Manhart/Dicots/Asteridae/Ast/Ast.html
>
> Agnes
> kkeeler1 at unl.edu

OK, now I've got more questions.

>From what I remember from school, we were told that the reason ragweed was so
nasty for us allergy sufferers was the unusual shape of its pollen.  Under a
microscope, it looks like a morning-star with attitude.  Most other pollens look
soft, smooth, & round by comparison.

(Mind you, I don't trust a "fact" just because it came from a HS teacher.  If I
did, I'd wonder why Elizabeth -- who my teachers said only bathed thrice --
always traveled with a bathtub!)

But IF it is the pollen coating that accounts for the nasty effects, would this
be true of the other memebers of the family?  And would it be relevant if you
weren't using the flowers?

Or was my teacher just jumping to conclusions?

--Katherine Blackthorne