HERB - Ointment, Balm, Salve Recipes??

Elizabeth Zagula ezagula at srv.net
Sun Apr 30 19:41:45 PDT 2000

I am trying to find documentable period recipes for ointments, balms,
salves, etc.  Anything would be helpful, especially cosmetic applications
of the above.  I have lots of books, but no actual recipes.  Elinor
Fettiplace's Receipt Book mentions a cold cream "Lady Fettiplace's Oyntment
of Roses", but no recipe to redact.  I have read about a famous 17th
century face cream produced by Gervase Markham, but again no recipe or
documentation.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Elizabeth

There is a fine line between anal and efficient, I straddle it!