HERB - Linen Waters/Mangles.

Nordmarc nordmarc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 22 14:21:43 PDT 2000

Mangles were also used to press excess water out of sheets, garments, etc. after
they had been washed. That was in the days before spin dryers or spin cycles were
common in Britain. My gran had one of those mangles. The big heavy rollers sat
atop a huge cast iron base, and the whole thing was really, really heavy, with
big cogs and all!
I never saw her use it for ironing though. Obviously there are different kinds of
mangles. My mom once had an old electric washer that had an electric mangle on
top to squeeze out the water. I remember watching her feed the washing through
it. Interesting, haven't thought of that in years...

Isrith.