HERB - Re: Mangles

Betty Braaksma ebeatrix at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 23 06:48:12 PDT 2000

Some more mangle lore:

When I was little my mother had an electric machine with the mangle mounted
on top. Occasionally she got her fingers caught while feeding the
clothes/linens through, but the mangle was designed to pop apart if the item
being fed through was too thick (like a hand! ;)) I witnessed the mangle
popping apart several times - pretty impressive to a little kid. You could
also pop it open manually if things got jammed.

However, mangle accidents did happen - my cousin's wife was killed by one
many years ago. She was doing the laundry in the winter and and was running
back & forth from the washing machine to the clothesline, with coat & scarf
tossed on.

You guessed it - her scarf got caught in the mangle, and that was it. There
was some mystery about why the safety catch didn't release -  shades of
Alfred Hitchcock & the revenge of the machines.

I heard a little while ago that these old-fashioned washers are making a
comeback in some circles, because they seem to wash cleaner than the
automatics. Given the potential for accidents, though, give me a non-mangle
model any day!

Beregaria of Outremer (who usually lurks)