HERB - rush lites

dwilson dwilson at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Dec 6 08:03:50 PST 2000

  I will reply quickly as the list may be shut down soon.  I am working from
a rather popular account of rush light manufacture written in the 18th
centaury (I cant find the reference right now) and it says to use Juncus
effusus .   I think of this as a 3 ft\1 meter high hollow plant.
  I am using Scirpus lacustris. 5 to 8 ft high and a pithy core.  I am not
sure about calling it bulrush as I think of bulrushes as something we call
cattails http://members.nbci.com/wendysweb/cattail.jpg  here in Canada.
What I am using is circumboreal as it is the plant used for mats in Japan,
seats in some chairs and the same plant Moses cradle was made of when he was
cast adrift on the Nile.
 Sheepstealer