HERB - period wedding flowers

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Wed Feb 2 17:03:32 PST 2000

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa,

I looked at the web page you mention, it's not terribly clear on what is
meant.  It may be left to each kingdom's interpretation.  While it refers to
them as regalia, nowhere does it say that the list is a society-wide
sumptuary law.  Notice that they refer to a chapeau for the pelicans.
"Chapeau" is simply the French word for "hat", and hats are certainly not
protected (at least not here).  I kinda suspect the section is talking about
protected HERALDICALLY (notice that the laurel wreath, which is regalia, is
NOT protected, because it has other uses heraldically).  I'm not sure that
they're empowered to set SCA policy outside of heraldry.

Since exactly what they mean isn't defined, I'd like to point out you don't
usually wear a wreath on your head, you wear a chaplet (the laurel wreath
seems to be an exception).  But even better!  A wreath is an open horseshoe
shape, a chaplet is a closed circle, therefore that isn't what's meant.
(BTW, a member of the rose is already going to be wearing something on their
head, either a county or ducal coronet, so logically this should refer to
something worn around the neck.)

Anybody buying this <G>?

In any case, it's easy to get around this if anyone's worried.  Add one
non-rose flower to the chaplet.

Raisya