HERB - Mistletoe

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Thu Feb 17 21:47:02 PST 2000

One of the problems you are going to have with getting mistletoe to grow
is that it is parasitic on trees (pretty much any tree, as far as I can
tell - well, maybe not evergreens).  It sends rootlets into the tree to
connect with the sap flow.  So you can't just dig it up and transplant
it, like you can with a plant or a bulb.  And the seeds, to grow, need to
pass through the digestive tract of a bird and come out onto the tree.
At least, I don't think it will grow otherwise.  Most people don't really
want it in their trees.  If it gets really large, it will kill the tree.
So, could you use dried (or only partly dried - it takes a long time to
dry mistletoe) mistletoe?  What part of the world are you in?  We have
lots of mistletoe here in Ansteorra (Texas & Oklahoma), but this year it
doesn't seem to have many berries, between heat and drought.

Suzanna, the herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
(Dallas, TX)