HERB - False Unicorn

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Wed Jan 5 11:57:51 PST 2000

>Has anyone heard of False Unicorn and where does it grow?
>Rhiannon

False Unicorn (Chamaelirium luteum) is a native of Mississippi
and grows primarily in the southern parts of the United States.
The roots of false unicorn contain the greatest amounts of
steroidal saponins, the active constituents. False unicorn
played a large role in Native Amreican medicine especially for
treatment of women's conditions such as delayed menstruation,
painful mensturation, and treatment of morning sickness. It
was sometimes used to prevent miscarriage and treat what we
now call PMS.

To the best of my knowledge, no adverse effects have been shown
from use of this herb, but neither have their been comprehensive
studies that I've read to date (Read: do the research folks).

Is that enough or do you need more info? There's TONS on the
web if you want it... :)

Jasmine
iasmin de cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com