HERB - name this herb?

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Fri Jan 7 07:25:29 PST 2000

Everything came out of Larkey, &  Pyles  footnote, and unfortunately, I
don't have a copy of their bibliography.  The two workes they cite which I
recognize are:

Gerard, John: The Herbal, or General History of Plants. The Complete 1633
Edition as revised and Enlarged by Thomas Johnson, Dover Publications Inc.,
New York, 1975

Oswald Cockayne's work is available through interlibrary loan:
Cockayne, Oswald, Leechdoms, Wortcunning, and Starcraft of Early England, 3
Volumes, Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts, and Green, London, 1864
         Vol. 1 Herbarium of Apuleius Pp 1-249
Herbarium of Apuleius continued from Dioscorides Pp. 249- 325
Medicina de quadrupedibus of Sextus  Placitus,   *942 G79 v.35 pt.1
         Vol. II Leech Book of Bald, 942 G79 v.35 pt.2
        Vol. III Liber medicinalis de virtutibus herbarum, Recipes,  from
British museum
                     Harleian. 585,     *942 G79 v.35 pt.3
                            "Of schools of medicine" British museum
Harleian. ms 6258.,  *942 G79 v.35 pt.3

At 06:19 AM 1/7/00 , you wrote:

>Rauthulfr wrote:
>>This may help you out!
>>
>>From: [Banckes Herbal] Anonymous: An Herbal [1525], Edited & Transcribed
>>into Modern English With an Introduction by Sanford V. Larkey, M.D., &
>>Thomas Pyles, Scholars’ Facsimiles & Reprints, New York, 1941
>>
>>Artiplex domestica (Arrach: Atriplex hortensis
>>This herb a Triplex domestica, men call it orage or Medollus.
>This is wonderful. Thank you!
>
>What is the reference with the detailed herb "dictionary"?  Is it still
>available?
>
>Agnes

RauþúlfR Meistari inn Orþstóri (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)
An Tir Arts & Sciences Champion AS: XXXIII-XXXIV
or, non-SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....