HERB - PMS Help

canada7@prodigy.net canada7 at prodigy.net
Fri Jan 7 09:50:06 PST 2000

 ---- On Jan  7 meaduewolf at juno.com wrote:

> Now I have a friend who needs help...
> She has a 15 year old daughter who just started her menstruation about a
> year ago. She has just lately gone into major mood swings.
> She wants to try natural herbs instead of going to the Dr. for
> synthetics.
> Any help?
> Rhiannon
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        I've never posted to the list before, but (unfortunately) I have plenty of experience in this matter.

   The following tea is one designed specifically for mood-swings. One can drink up to three - four cups daily (although it should be avoided during pregnancy, since uva-ursi can stimulate the uterus - Although one would hope that this isn't an issue with a 15 year old <sigh>)

1 part chickweed
2 parts nettle
1 part oatstraw
1 part uva-ursi
2 parts corn silk

   Use 4 to 6 tablespoons of herb mixture per quart of water. Place cold water in a saucepan, then add the herbs and slowly bring to a simmer over low heat. Remove immediately from heat and keep the pot tightly covered. Let infuse for 20 minutes, then strain.
*************************
I don't know if she experiences any other problems, but the following is a formula intended to cover all the bases. **Warning - it may taste pretty bad, but it works.

Mix the following herbal tinctures:

2 parts chasteberry
1 part motherwort
1 part false unicorn root
1 part dang gui
1 - 2 parts sage
1 part St.-John's-wort
1-2 parts black cohosh
1/2 - 1 part licorice
1/2 - 1 part black haw
1/2 - 1 part alfalfa

   Blend the herbal tinctures together in a jar. Take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon three times a day on an empty stomach, straight up or mixed with a little water.

    There are a number of herbs commonly used in cases like this (chasteberry seeds, dandelion root, and skullcap), and then others often added to customize relief formulas (black cohosh for depression, black haw for cramps, passionflower for tension relief, etc.). It may take a few months to find a suitable balance for your friend's daughter, but perservere and I'm sure she'll find a concotion that works for her.

           Hope things turn out well,
                Heather