HERB - stevia

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Tue Jan 11 19:54:29 PST 2000

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:14:54 -0600 Magdalena <magdlena at earthlink.net>
writes:

When Daddy used to make wine, he sweetened it after it had finished
brewing with simple syrup (sugar in water) to taset.  I think you could
probably use stevia in the same way.

Also, if you put it in the wine during the fermentation, I don't think
the alcohol would affect the taste.  I think somebody in my herb club
talked about making a tincture of stevia to use.  I would recommend that
you make up a small batch of stevia infusion and a small batch of stevia
tincture (use vodka or a dry white commercial wine) and see how they
taste.  Then you have a small amount you can use to experiment with in
the brewing.

Please let us know how it works out.
Suzanna

>    What I'm wondering is how the taste of stevia will change in
interaction with the fermentation process, and whether the alcohol
extraction later in the process will effect the taste as well.