HERB - Re: Yeasts was "stevia"

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Wed Jan 12 10:01:17 PST 2000

Jenne Heise wrote:
> Here's a reverse question: according to my book on Food and Drink in
> Medieval Poland, bread was made with a leaven called 'thick beer'. One
> would assume that this would be bread made with a sourdough started from
> beer yeast. Anybody done this?

Most assuredly.  The "thick beer" is the flocculated (fallen out
of suspension) yeast that just got through making the beer from
the malted water.  In modern conical fermenters, you can easily
tap the bottom of the cone to harvest the cells for the next batch
in the brewery or to give to home brewers that ask politely and
show up with that sterilized pint jar.  It comes out thicker than
the thickest cream, a lovely, fragrant semi-solid mass.

If you use if for bread, you're liable to get a strange loaf.
When I did it, the hops flavour from the batch of beer was readily
apparent.  The bread was good, though quite unique in flavour.
The texture was a bit coarse, due to the larger bubbles of CO2
from the brewer's yeast.  If you rinsed or cultured the yeast off
a time or two to remove the hops flavours, it would probably lose
the hoppy bitterness and aroma.  I like hops, so it didn't much
bother me.

--
Eoin Caimbeul
MKA Wes Will