HERB - period wedding flowers

paul gieri dragon at lemoorenet.com
Sat Jan 22 14:02:14 PST 2000

Kristine Agnew wrote:

> Greetings from Lady Boudicca of Mare Amethystinum!
>
> My Lord and I are planning to be married this August in a medieval ceremony
> and I don't want to go with flowers that may not be period. I know that
> different flowers had different meanings, and I'm hoping someone can give me
> an idea on where to find this information, I would really appreciate it!

My Lady, I have a book that lists a number of these from the Victorian
period...don't know if it will help but here are a few that seem to apply;

Baby's breath--everlasting love
Buttercups--cheerfulness
Blue salvia--I think of you
Burnet--a merry heart
Carnation--bonds of affection
Chervil--sincerity
Costmary--fidelity
Feverfew--warmth, protection
Germander--joy, faithfulness
Globe amaranth--unfailing affection
Hollyhock--fruitfulness
Honesty--money in both pockets
Marjoram--joy and happiness
Myrtle--love, marriage
Rose--beauty, love
Rosemary--remembrance, fidelity
Sage--long life, good health, and domestic virtue
Southernwood--constancy
Tulip--declaration of love

Hope this helps
Ginger