HERB - Herbal Oil?

Nordmarc nordmarc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 25 07:35:05 PST 2000

Greetings!
I know of Four Thieves Vinegar, but not oil.

Four Thieves Vinegar is a Marseilles (France) remedy and safeguard against the
plague, dating from 1722. It is a mildly antiseptic, highly aromatic lotion.
Supposedly once employed as a safeguard by four robbers who made a profession of
plundering plague victims.

Recipe for Four Thieves Vinegar.
Take 1/4 ounce each of:
                                    Calamus root               Rue
                                    Cinnamon                    Sage
                                    Ground cloves             Wormwood.
                                    Ground nutmeg            Rosemary
                                    Lavender                     Mint

Place everything plus 2 heads of garlic, crushed, in a glass or ceramic
container. Add 1 quart of organic, raw, unfiltered, cider vinegar (Bragg is a
good brand).
Cover closely and keep at a warm temperature for about 5 days.
Strain, and then add 1/4 ounce of powdered camphor before bottling for use.

I would think that Four Thieves Oil could be by infusing everything in olive oil
instead of vinegar but as I said, I only know about the vinegar.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Oh, by the way, the recipe comes from "Mastering
Herbalism" by Paul Huson. London. Abacus (Sphere books Ltd.) 1977.

Best wishes,  Isrith.