HERB - Are the yellow roses in Ansteorra blooming now?

Lynette lklc at prodigy.net
Tue Jul 25 07:17:47 PDT 2000

Grind the petals to a paste in a mortar and pestle.  If making a lot use an
old fashioned food grinder.  Put the ground petals in a cast-iron pot or
skillet.  (be sure there's not rust in the pot) and regrind daily for 2
weeks.  You will see the paste become thicker each day until it reaches a
consistency were it can be formed into smooth hard beads.  To make the
beads., roll little lumps smaller than a marble between you hands with a
circular motion until they are smooth and well rounded.   Put a large
straight pin through the center of each and stick the pin into a soft board.
the finished bead will be half the size of the freshly made one.  Let the
bead dry for at least 2 weeks, longer if humid climate.  Remove pin and
polish with flannel or soft cloth.  String them on dark colored buttonhole
twist As you wear the beads they will continue to darken and polish.  Not
wishing to over state to the obvious but you should use the most fragrant
roses you can find.  I forgot that I had made some of these about 8 years
ago.  I just got them out.  they look like little seeds or a berry.  I
recall my mother had a necklace of  these and they were carved with a rose
design.  Hve fun it take about 60 beads to make an adult necklace.  Thes
takes a half bushel of petals  The petals may be faded but must be fresh not
dried or brown.  Use ones that have fallen to the ground or are about to
fall.  Harvesting this way and only picking the petals will still allow hips
to form.   Plus you got to enjoy the roses in full bloom.  This really is a
fun project.  (A shopping bag is about the right amount).