HERB - Re:St. John's Wort

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Thu Jun 15 06:24:41 PDT 2000

At 04:24 AM 6/15/00 -0400,GypsyRomany at aol.com said something like:
>I heard from a friend whose husband is bi-polar, that it also cancels out
>Prozac...
>Not sure...could just be a doc not wanting to step over for an herb :)
>
>Antonia

I'd probably be very careful once we start making assumptions like these.
What you need to do before making the decision to take any of these things
is to educate yourself as to how they work.

There are also the mechanics of how each of these things work. Prozac is a
SSRI, and effects the balance of seratonin in the brain. St. John's Wort
however affects the balance of seratonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. So
while they are close, they aren't the same thing at all.

As always, YMMV

Regards,
Maggie MacD.