HERB - Plant Identification

sunshinegirl sunshinegirl at steward-net.com
Thu Jun 15 17:20:00 PDT 2000

someone said...

> > Hmmm, I'm tempted to agree with Corwyn, since here in CA I've seen
eucalyptus
> > with just about any shape leaf you care to think of, and they're this
kind of
> > greyish (OK, the grey tints optional) medium-green.  But the way you
describe
> > them sounds like it does NOT have a central woody stalk....and it smells
like
> > Vics vapor rub.... anyone know what camphor looks like?  (Actually, I
think
> > that may be a tree, too.)  Hmmm....

Well, it sorta has a central stalk that is a little taller than the rest,
but there are lots of branches with the leaves on them.  Some of the leaves
seem fairly smooth, others seem to be toothed.  The leaves are long and
narrow, with the two outside points very close to the stalk.

Someone else said...

> Well, camphor plant has multiple grayish stalks with fringey leaves.
> Could the plant in question be the one people market as the 'Vick's Vapor
> Rub' herb?

The only camphor I've found references to is a tree.   What is the botanical
name of the camphor plant and the "vick's" herb you are refering to?

Melandra