HERB - what are people working on?

BPack55294@aol.com BPack55294 at aol.com
Tue Jun 20 12:53:22 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/20/00 3:19:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, gwalli at ptc.com
writes:

<< Everyone's gardens growing happily?

    THE WEEDS ARE!!!  Actually, with the recent rainy weather, it's been a
blessing not to have to water things.  The new lavender and tarragon I put in
this year are doing splendidly.  (Last year's heat and drought fried them,
and they had to be replaced.)  My pink yarrow is much happier in its new home
and is blooming profusely.
    I've cut Southernwood and have it drying for my homemade moth chaser.
    Already had to harvest the oregano once; I've had it in a half-barrel for
5 years now, and it's doing GREAT!
    The basil is coming along splendidly.  (I can taste the pesto just
thinking about it!  Ever try putting some basil leaves in a sandwich instead
of lettuce?  AWSOME!)
    Put in a whole row of garlic this year too.  It's coming along.  I'll
have enough to make a nice long braid ... something I haven't been able to do
in years.
    The Tansy is doing its usual magnificent thing, and I keep digging up the
new sprouts to give to others.
    That's not ALL of it, but a goodly portion.

    I have tried concocting some of the lavender/sage aftershave, and I
happen to like the fragrance, though my daughter thinks it smells like salad
dressing, even after I added more of the witch hazel.  8-/  Will be sharing
it with a few guys who shave, though with this hot weather, I'm wondering
about using it as a "cooler-offer" myself!

    I have tried for two years now to get starts off a friend's very old pink
climbing rose. I haven't a clue of it's name, nor does he.  It came with his
house, which is in an older neighberhood.   Seems like no luck again this
year, though one of the starts isn't totally shot just yet, so I'm holding
out hope!  I have had luck starting roses from cuttings in the past.  Got any
suggestions?  (I've used petals from the blooms from the bush in potpourri
with success, so I'd like to start my own bushes.  Besides, it's a really
lovely rose!)

    Ah, for the day when I own my own home and can do MORE, but for now, I
thank God daily that I have a landlord who allows me to garden!

    peace & blessings to all,
        bets

Betsy Packard
Lady Elissa ferch Gruffydd