HERB - Samples from Parkinson [LONG]

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Thu Jun 22 20:55:39 PDT 2000

One of the interesting things about Culpeper's work is that with his
emphasis on Astrology and such, it represents a mind set which tends to be
more "post-renaissance" in flavor.  Much as we can say that John
Parkinson's Theatrum Botanicum is the last of the Great Renaissance
Herbals, and Banackes Herbal is to a great extent the last of the Medieval
Herbals, Pardinson's Herbal is something of the first for the Post
Renaissance period. His comments on Basil strike one as a bit odd, and it
is difficult to tell if he is being serious.  However to balance that I am
including a lengthy passage from his introduction.

YIS
Rauthulfr

  Culpeper on Basil:
And away to Dr. Reason went I, who told me that it was an herb of Mars, and
under the scorpion, and perhaps therefore called Basilica, and it is no
marvel, if it carry a kind of virulent with it.  Every like draws his
like.  Mizaldus affirms, that being laid to rot in horse-dung, it will
breed venomous beasts.  Hilarius, a French physician, affirms upon his own
knowledge, that an acquaintance of his, by common smelling of it, had a
scorpion bred in his brain.  Something is the matter this herb and rue will
not grow together; and we know rue is as great an enemy to poison as any
that grows.
Complete Herbal, P. 15.
  Culpeper's introduction:
Although the ancient Heathens did appropriate the first invention of the
knowledge of Herbs, and so consequently of Physick, some unto Chiron the
Centaur, and others to Apollo or Æsculapius his son, yet we that are
Christians have out of a better School learned, that God, the Creator of
Heaven and Earth, at the beginning when he created Adam, inspired him with
the knowledge of all natural things (successively descended to Noah
afterwards and to his Posterity):  for, as he was able to give names to all
the living, creatures according to their several natures; so no doubt but
he had also the knowledge, both what Herbs and Fruits were fit, either for
Meat or Medicine, for or for Delight.  And that Adam might exercise this
knowledge, God planted a Garden for him to live in, (wherein even in his
innocence he was to labor and spend his time) which he stored with the best
and choicest Herbs and Fruits the earth could produce that he might have
not only for necessity whereon to feed, but for pleasure also; the place or
Garden called Paradise importing as much, and more plainly the words set
down s Genesis the second, which are these; Out of the ground the Lord God
made to grow every tree pleasant to the sight and good for meat; and in the
24 of Numbers, the Parable of Balaam, mentioning the Aloe trees that God
planted; and in other places if there were need to recite them.  But my
purpose is only to show you, that Paradise was a place (whether you will
call it a Garden, or Orchard, or both, no doubt of some large extent)
Wherein Adam was first placed to abide; that God was the Planter thereof,
having furnished it with trees and herbs, as well pleasant to sight, as
good for meat, and that he being to dress and keep this place, must of
necessity know all the things that grew therein, and to what uses they
served, or else his labor about them, and knowledge in them, had be in
vain.  And although Adam lost the place for his transgression, yet he lost
not the natural knowledge, nor use of them:  but that, God made the whole
world, and all the creatures therein for Man, so he may use all things as
well of pleasure as of necessity, to be helps unto him to serve his
God.  Let men therefore, according to their first institution, so use their
service, that they also in them may remember their service to God, and not
(like our Grand-mother Eve) set their affections so strongly, on the
pleasure in them, as to deserve the loss of them in this Paradise, yea and
of Heaven also.  For truly from all sorts of Herbs and Flowers we may draw
mater at all times not only to magnify the Creator that has given them such
diversities of form, scents and colors, that the most cunning Workman
cannot Imitate, and such virtues and properties, that although we know
many, yet many more lie hidden and unknown, but many good instructions also
to ourselves:  That as many herbs and flowers with their fragrant sweet
smells do comfort, and as it were revive the spirits, and perfume a whole
house; even so such men as live virtuously, laboring to do good, and profit
the Church of God and the4 Common wealth by their pains or penny, do as it
were send forth a pleasing savor of sweet instructions, not only to that
time wherein they live, and are fresh, but being dry, withered and dead,
cease not in all after ages to do as much or more.  Many herbs and flowers
that have small beauty or savor to commend them, have much more good use
and virtue:  so many men of excellent rare parts and good qualities do lie
hid unknown and not respected, until time and use of them do set forth
their properties.  Again, many flowers have a glorious show of beauty and
bravery, yet stinking in smell or else of no other use:  so many do make a
glorious ostentation, and flourish in the world, when as if they stink not
horribly, before God, and all good men, yet surely they have no other
virtue then but their outside to commend them, or leave behind them,.  Some
also rise up and appear like a Lilly among Thorns, or as a goodly Flower
among many Weeds or Grass, either by their honorable authority, or eminence
of learning or riches, whereby they excel others, and thereby may do good
to many.  The frailty also of Man’s life is learned the soon fading of them
before their flowering, or in their pride, or soon after being either
cropped by the hand of the spectator, or by a sudden blast in withered and
parched, or by the revolution of time decaying of it’s own nature; also
that the fairest flowers or fruits first ripe, are soonest and first
gathered.  The mutability also of that and persons, by this, that as where
many goodly flowers & fruits did grow this year and age, in another they
are quite pulled or digged up, and either weeds and grasses grow in their
place, or some building erected thereon, and their place is no more
known.  The Civil respects to be learned from them are many also:  for the
delight of the varieties both of forms, colors and properties of Herbs and
Flowers, has ever been powerful over dull, unnurtured, rustic and savage
people, led only by Natures instinct; how much more powerful is it or
should be in the minds of generous persons? For it may well be said, he is
not human, that is not allured with this object.  The study, knowledge, and
travel in them as they have been entertained of great Kings, Princes and
Potentates, without disparagement to their Greatness, or hindrance to their
more serious and weighty Affairs:  so no doubt unto all that are capable
thereof, it s not only pleasant, but profitable, by comforting the mind,
spirits and senses with an harmless delight and by enabling the judgment to
confer and apply help to many dangerous diseases.  It is also an instructor
in the verity of the genuine Plants of the Ancients, and a Corrector of the
many errors where unto the world by continuance has been diverted, and
almost therein fixed, by eradicating in time, and degrees, the pernicious
willfulness of many, who because they were brought up in their errors, are
most unwilling to leave them without consideration of the good or evil, the
right or wrong, they draw on therewith.  And for my self I may well say,
that had not mine own pains and studies by a natural inclination been more
powerful in me then any others help (although some through an evil
disposition and ignorance have so far traduced me as to say this was rather
another man’s work then mine own, but I leave them to their folly) I had
never done so much as I here publish; nor been fit or prepared for a
larger, as time may suddenly, (by God’s permission) bring to light, if the
malevolent dispositions of degenerate spirits do not hinder the
accomplishment.  But persuading myself there is no shower that produces not
some fruit, or no word but works some effect, either of good to persuade,
or of reproof to evince; I could not but declare my mind herein, let others
judge or say what they please.  For l have always held it a thing unfit, to
conceal or bury that knowledge God has given, and not to impart it, and
further others therewith as much as is convenient, yet without ostentation,
which I have ever hated.  Now further to inform the courteous Reader, both
of the occasion that led me on to this work, and the other occurrences, to
it.  First, having perused many Herbals in Latin, I observed that most of
them have either neglected or not known the many diversities of the flower
Plants, and rare fruits are known to us at this time, (except Clusius
[sic.]) have made mention but of a very few.  In English likewise we have
some extant, as Turner and Dodonæus translated, who have said little of
Flowers Gerard who is last, has no doubt given us the knowledge of as many
as he attained unto in his time, but since his days we have had many more
varieties, then he or they ever heard of, as may be perceived by the store
l have here produced.  And none of them particularly featured those that
are beautiful flower plants, fit to store a garden of delight and pleasure,
from the wild and unfit:  but have interlaced many, one among, another,
whereby many that have desired to have fair flowers, have not known what to
choose, or what to desire.  Diverse Books of Flowers also have been set
forth, some in our own Country, and more in others, all which are as it
were but handfuls snatched from the plentiful Treasury of Nature, none of
them being willing or able to open all sorts, and declare them fully; but
the greatest hindrance of all men’s delight was, that none of them had
given any description of them, but the bare name only.  To satisfy therefor
their desires that are lovers of such Delights, I took upon me this labor
and charge, and have here selected and set forth a Garden of all the
chiefest for choice and fairest for show, from among all the several Tribes
and Kindreds of Natures beauty, and have ranked them as near as I could, or
as the work would permit, in affinity one unto another.  Secondly, and for
their sakes that are studious in Authors, I have set down the names [which]
have been formerly given unto them, with some of their errors, not
intending to cumber this work with all that might be said of them, because
the deciding of the man controversies, doubts, and questions that concern
them, pertain more fitly to a general History:  yet I have been in some
places more copious and ample then at the first I had intended, the
occasion drawing on my desire to inform others with what I thought was fit
to be known, reserving what else might be said to another time & work;
wherein (God willing) I will enlarge my self the subject matter requiring
it at my hands, in that my small ability can effect.  Thirdly, I have also
to embellish this Work set forth the figures of all such plants and flowers
as are material and different one from another:  but not as some others
have done, that is, a number of the figures of one sort of plant that have
nothing to distinguish them but the color, for that I hold to be
superfluous and waste.  Fourthly, I have also set down the Virtues and
Properties of them in a brief manner, rather desiring to give you the
knowledge of few certain and true, then to relate, as others have done, a
needless and false multiplicity, that so there might as well profit as
pleasure be taken from them, and that nothing might be wanting to
accomplish it fully.  And so much for this first part, my Garden of
pleasant an delightful Flowers.  My next Garden consists of Herbs and
Roots, Fit to be eaten of the rich and poor as nourishment and food, as
sauce or condiment, as salad or refreshing, for pleasure or profit; where I
do as well play the Garderner, to show you (in brief but not at large) the
times and manner of sowing, setting, planting, replanting, and the like
(although all these things, and many more then are true, are set down very
largely in the several books that others have written of this subject) as
also to show of from the Kitchen uses (because they are Kitchen herbs, &c.)
although I confess but very sparingly, not intending a treatise of cookery,
but briefly to give a touch thereof; and also the Physical properties, to
show somewhat that others have not set forth; yet not to play the Empericke
[sic.] and give you recipes of medicines for all diseases, but only to show
in some sort the qualities of Herbs, to quicken the minds of the
studious.  And lastly an Orchard of all sorts of domestic or foreign, rare
and good fruits, fit for this our Land and Country, which is at this time
better stored and furnished than ever in any age before.  I have herein
endeavored, as in the other Gardens, to set forth the varieties of every
sort in as brief a manner as possibly could be, without superfluous
repetitions of descriptions, and only with especial notes of difference in
leaves, flowers and fruits.  Some few properties also are set down, rather
from the chiefest then the most, as the work did require.  And moreover
before every of these parts I have given Treatises of the ordering,
preparing end keeping the several Gardens and Orchard, with what so ever I
thought was convenient to be known for every of them.
Thus I have showed you both the occasion and scope of this Work, and herein
have spent my time, pains and charge, which if well accepted, I shall think
well employed, and may the sooner hasten the fourth Part, A Garden of
Simples; which be quiet no longer at home, the that it can bring his Master
news of faire weather for the Journey.