HERB - Re: Salve Recipe Search

Gaylin J. Walli gwalli at ptc.com
Mon Jun 26 09:35:42 PDT 2000

Serian wrote:

>Hi Leah, and thank you so much for the recipe.  You
>mentioned using vegie shortening.  What would happen if
>olive oil were used instead?  Would the consistency be too
>runny?

You can easily use only vegetable oil such as olive
oil with beeswax to thicken it, for any salve you
make. Here's a rough guide I've worked out for
thickening balm/salve bases with beeswax that
works for me. I taught a class on balms and bases
last year a few times and this chart has proved
very useful to everyone. Note that this is *not*
how to make a salve, but merely proportions of
oil to thickeners that have worked for me and a
few other people. My apologies if the tabs/spaces
don't work for you. I can send you a PDF version
of the file if you're interested, via private e-mail.

If you have this much oilŠ			Use this much beeswaxŠ
cups	ounces	teaspoons	tablespoons	teaspoons	ounces
1/8	1	6	2		1/2	0.1
1/4	2	12	4		1	0.2
3/8	3	18	6		1 1/2	0.3
1/2	4	24	8		2	0.4
5/8	5	30	10		2 1/2	0.5
3/4	6	36	12		3	0.6
7/8	7	42	14		3 1/2	0.7
1	8	48	16		4	0.8
1 1/8	9	54	18		4 1/2	0.9
1 1/4	10	60	20		5	1.0
1 3/8	11	66	22		5 1/2	1.1
1 1/2	12	72	24		6	1.2
1 5/8	13	78	26		6 1/2	1.3
1 3/4	14	84	28		7	1.4
1 7/8	15	90	30		7 1/2	1.5
2	16	96	32		8	1.6

Note: These are suggested beeswax and oil amounts
to combine for a hard balm. Teaspoons amounts are
given if you wish to melt your beeswax and then measure.
Ounce amounts, on the other hand, are given for the
unmelted wax. For comparison, about 6 teaspoons melted
fills one slot in a standard-sized ice cube tray.

Jasmine
iasmin de cordoba
gwalli at ptc.com
iasmin at home.com