HERB - Culpeper/Mavericks, etc.

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu Jun 29 14:28:51 PDT 2000

> Then Jadwiga wrote:
> "He attended college, but did not graduate; he studied pharmacy but did
> not
> ever become admitted to the guild."
> There were many who didn't / couldn't attend medical college for one
> reason or another, or be admitted to guilds. I believe at one point they
> didn't admit married men. It doesn't necessarily follow that those
> people who were refused, or didn't attend college, didn't know what they
> were doing.

No, it doesn't follow. But there's no indication that he dropped out from
lack of money, or that he was refused admission to the guild. It seems
more like he didn't bother.

> Was healing the foremost concern here, or whose hands the potential for
> making money (power) was in?

Culpeper certainly believed that the whole thing was political, which may
be why he never joined the guild.

> Perhaps Culpeper was not alone in his theories, simply alone in writing
> about such matters and getting published.  I don't know - I wasn't
> there!

Culpeper wasn't alone in his theories, he was simply the most radical
proponent of them.

> Jadwiga: "His is the most comprehensive book on the astrological
> treatment theory, but by no means the only one that was published,
> either before or after his time."
> Do you have any information on those others please?

Eleanor Sinclair Rohde's _Old English Herbals_ has information on this.

There is also a book specifically on Culpeper that I'm keeping in my
bathroom to read in sections:

Culpeper's Medicine: A Practice of Western Holistic Medicine Graeme
Tobyn ISBN: 0765516322 Publisher: Element Books
which is available for $5.98 from Barnes & Noble...

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
   "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"