HERB - Pomegranate Sekanjabin

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Fri Mar 3 14:20:15 PST 2000

Greetings!

>IIRC someone mentioned a pomegranate version of this...  Any chance of a
>recipe? It really sounds yummy, like a good change from ice tea in the
long
>hot New Mexico summer that's coming too soon.

>Thanks,
>Prydwen

Yep, Cariadoc's Miscellany has it.  There's snippage below - especially
see the end of the snip for the pomegranate syrup, which can be added /
mixed in with sekanjabin.

Can you tell our shire is hooked on this stuff?  How strong or how weak
you make it is up to you - we reduce by half, and we've never had it go
bad.  We take it to Pennsic all the time, and we don't put it in a cooler
- no worries, mate!

I don't have Cairadoc's web site, but it's out there, and it's great!
-Caro

Syrup of Pomegranates
-from Cariadoc's Miscellany

Andalusian p. A-74

Take a ratl of sour pomegranates and another of sweet
pomegranates, and add their juice to
two ratls of sugar, cook all this until it takes the
consistency of syrup, and keep until needed.
Its benefits: it is useful for fevers, and cuts the thirst,
it benefits bilious fevers and lightens the
body gently.

Use equal volumes of sugar and pomegranate juice (found in
some health food stores). Cook them
down to a thick syrup, in which form they will keep, without
refrigeration, for a very long time. To
serve, dilute one part of syrup in 3 to 6 parts of hot water
(to taste).