HERB - Another Bruise juice recipe (rather long)

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Mon Mar 20 22:36:58 PST 2000

First off, let me point out that there is no problem with using comfrey
*externally*.  The problems come from taking it internally (and that for
longer periods of time).  It is an excellent healing agent and contains
significant amounts of allantion, which promotes growth and healing of
the skin.

And secondly,  I have a different recipe for bruise ointment (also good
for strains, rashes, carpal tunnel and many other things).  This one
still takes several weeks, but is slightly less labor intensive and uses
less heat.  I usually make up about 5 to 8 ounces at a time, so that is
the quantities quoted here.

1 oz. of vodka (some herbs extract better in water or in alcohol than in
oil, so vodka covers both those, and is less irritating to the skin than
rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol)

1 oz castor oil (nourishing to the skin, and it emulsifies the vodka -
usually available at the drugstore)

4 to 6 oz other oils of your preference (olive, avocado, sunflower,
apricot kernel, almond)

A large handful of the mixed herbs I want to use.  I mix the dry herbs in
a bowl, and add as much as seems good, to quote Gerard - usually 2 - 3
Tbsp.  Herbs I use are arnica flower to reduce swelling, calendula,
chamomile, and St. John's wort to reduce bruises (I use the leaves from
my St. John's wort plant instead of the flowers, so I don't get the red
color), lots of comfrey leaf (root is stronger, but I don't want to dig
up my plant) for healing, and marsh mallow and slippery elm (these can
substitute for comfrey if you don't want to use it), white willow bark
(contains aspirin; aspirin is absorbed through the skin), and for rashes
and insect bites I add burdock, plantain and some licorice or wild yam.
You may think of different herbs to use.

Then I put everything in the blender and blend well.  Then I let it all
stand for several weeks.  When it first comes out of the blender, it is
milky white with herb bits in it.  After several weeks it will be a dark
green or brown.  Then I strain it through an old (clean) stocking and
measure it.  For every 5 ounces of oil I add about 1 1/2 oz. beeswax +
cocoa butter + coconut oil  (or just beeswax if I am out of the other 2).
 I also add essential oil of clove and peppermint to stimulate
circulation and penetrate the skin, but not everyone likes that fragrance
combination, so these could be left out.  Put the oil and the wax(es) in
a pan, and heat gently until the wax just melts.  Then pour up into jars
and let cool.

There is very little heat with this method, which I think is better for
the herbs.  And I never get that scorched smell.  We use this for
everything, and it really works well.  If you prefer an oil, you can skip
the beeswax step.  And the oil and ointment both seem to penetrate the
skin well - they are not as greasy feeling as some oils.  The ointment is
also excellent for rashes like diaper rash, since the beeswax provides a
bit of a moisture barrier.  Also keeps a long time (up to a year or two)
if not used up sooner.  If you try this, let me know how it works for
you.

Suzanna, the herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
(Dallas, TX)