HERB -safety of comfrey

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Tue Mar 21 21:37:52 PST 2000

Jasmine raises some very good points about the lack of information
concerning the transdermal penetration of various herbal components.
This should be considered especially with a bruise ointment, since most
such formulae are designed to be penetrating.  In my recipe that I
posted, for example, the essential oils of clove and peppermint do
penetrate several layers of skin, and possibly to the surface muscles
below.  Castor oil also penetrates, and tends to carry other things with
it.  And the salicylates in willow bark, if included, also penetrate.
This is part of why the salve works so well.

That said, I still believe comfrey is relatively safe to use externally
for short periods of time.  And most bruise ointments are used for short
periods of time (2 weeks or so).  But everyone should evaluate the risks
for themselves.  Perhaps we will find some more research on the subject
some time.

Suzanna, the herbalist