HERB - Echinacea & Ragweed

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Mon May 1 19:32:09 PDT 2000

Just because you have echinacea in your garden does not mean you will
cause problems for your asthmatic friend.  I have asthma - have had all
my life - I am allergic to both ragweed and goldenrod (both compositae)
and I grow echinacea and it doesn't cause me any particular problems.  I
also use echinacea for coughs and colds, both the capsules of ground
roots and a tincture that I make from the flowers.  Someone else might
have significant problems with echinacea pollen though.  Asthma is quite
variable, both from individual to individual, and from time to time in
one individual.  Not all asthma is caused by allergies, not all allergies
are to pollens, not all pollen allergies are to ragweed (my mother only
has pollen problems in the spring, from tree pollens).  That is why it is
sometimes hard to identify the causes of asthma attacks, and sometimes
difficult to treat asthma.  The best plan is to ask the asthmatic person
what triggers their problems, and then help them avoid that (or those,
more likely) things
Suzanna, herbalist