HERB - Information sources (worth saving) (long)

LYNETTE LAFONTAINE lklc at prodigy.net
Wed May 3 07:31:13 PDT 2000

It's amazing what you find when you flip over a book and look at the back cover.  The one I referred to earlier, Professional's handbook of complementary and Alternative Medicines.  Referring to the book it says," ...Reverences to scientific literature, including Germany's Commission E findings, allow you to gauge the validity of claims made about each herb.
I'd love to get my hands on a PDR for Herbal Medicines just to see how it approaches and handles things.  I wonder the cost.  Does anyone have it?  I know this is asking a lot but an exert would be nice to see.
Also, I'd like to share some sources for information:

American Botanical Council, P. O. Box 201660, Austin, TX  78720-1660, Tel. (512)331-8868, Fax (512) 331-1924, www.herbs.org

American Foundation of Traditional Chinese Medicine
505 Beech Street, San Francisco, CA  94133, Tel:  (415) 776-0502, Fax (415) 776-9053

APRALERT College of Pharmacy, The University of Illinois at Chicago, Contact:  Mary Lou Quinn, Tel. (312) 996-2246, Fax (312) 996-7107, www.pmmp.uic.edu

The Australasian College of Herbal Studies, USA Office, P. O. Box 57, 530 First Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034, Tel.> (503) 635-6652 or (800) 48-STUDY, Fax (503) 636-0706, www.achs at herbed.com

Botanical Society of America, Office of Publications, 1735 Neil Avenue, Columbus, OH  43210-1293, tel. (614) 292-3519

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Public Health Service, US Department of Health and Human Services, 1600 Cliftl Road NE, Atlanta, Ga  30333, Tel. (404) 639-3311, www.cdc.gov

personal note:  I have found the CDC responds quickly to questions, as are various pharmasutical companies I've contacted

Lloyd Library, 917 Plum Street, Cincinnati, OH  45202, Tel. (13) 721-3703 www.libraries.ic.edu/lloyd

Office of Dietary Supplements, National Institutes of Health, Building 31, Room 1B25, 31 Center Drive, MSC 2086, Bethesda, MD  20892-2086, Tel. (301) 435-2920 www.odp.od.nih.gov

Office of Alternative Medicine, OAM Clearinghouse, P. O. Box 8218, Silver Springs, MD  20907-8218, Tel. (888) 644-6226, Fax (301) 49504957 www.altmed,od,nih.gov

Us Food and Drug Administration, Public Health Service, Department of Health and Human Services, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD  20857, www.fda.gov