HERB - OnHealth herbal index

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu May 4 07:46:18 PDT 2000

> Now, I have a question.  What is the Commission E.?

According to the Natural Pharmacist Website:
http://www.tnp.com/def.asp?referrer=glossary.asp&ID=13

"Germany's Commission E

Germany's Commission E is an official government agency that performs a
job similar to that of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), only
it's specifically focused on herbs. In 1978, the Bundesgesundheitsamt
(Federal Health Agency) organized a special commission to evaluate the
safety and efficacy of medicinal herbs. The Commission E monographs, the
outcome of this effort, consist of over 300 brief articles on the most
medically important herbal preparations. These monographs serve as the
basis for the medical usage of herbs within the German health care system
and outline acceptable manufacturing processes on the basis of available
scientific and clinical evidence. "

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
	"Oh it's all too much, too grim, too lovely, too -- how should
	I put this? It's general chaos." -- Edward Gorey