HERB - Peppermint

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Thu May 4 11:40:13 PDT 2000

Hello!

>Nope.  Me too.  I've now managed to kill peppermint, spearmint, and
>lemon balm in pots.  ;>  (The peppermint died last weekend.  ;<)
>
>I can grow them in the ground just fine, but as soon as I pot them....

For some reason, peppermint doesn't like pots.  I had the same problem -
spreads like a weed in the ground, but as soon as you pot it, it withers.
 The only time I've been able to trick it is by putting the pot into the
ground, flush with the soil.  Then it was fine.

Now, let me think....my grandmother told me that each individual mint
likes different conditions, and that you must accede to its request.  For
instance, catnip likes full shade (under pine trees is best), and white
balsam likes full sun and dry conditions, but blue balsam likes morning
sun and evening shade, with dry conditions.  I don't know about some of
the other mints.

Go fig.
-Caro