HERB - What's Everyone Planting

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Thu May 4 14:34:10 PDT 2000

Raisya asked:

>So, it's THAT time of year again.  What is everyone planting <G>?

Well, not too long ago I finally got my fall bulbs into the ground.
Better late than never I suppose, but I suspect I'll lose about
20% of them. Some lovely Aladdin tulips and another variety
with the papery, frilly edges, the former in orange and the later
in peach. They should be lovely when they bloom next year.
I also put crocus bulbs directly in my lawn. Here's to hoping
they survive as well, as they're some of my favorite spring
blooms.

My woodruff is doing very well so far and the echinacea plants
on both sides of the house are small, but healthy. I'm thinking
of picking the violet leaves and flowersfrom the plants growing
near the garage and through the lawn and making a few period
syrups or something out of them. Better do that quick, though,
before they whither. My chives are stunted as all get out and
my creeping thyme is doing just that...creeping. Very slowly.

For the rest, well, to be honest, I've not gotten much. I was
just taking a walk this afternoon and decided to take advantage
of all the free catnip growing near my office. I grabbed a handful
by the roots and it's not wrapped in a wet paper towl on my desk
awaiting transport to my house and a nice shady corner where
it can duke it out with the spearmint I've managed to keep alive.

I've honestly not planted anything else simply because I was
concentrating so hard on Middle Kingdom Coronation. Luckily,
the weekend of Mother's Day and the weekend following are
both "Flower Days" at Detroit's Eastern Market (like a giant
farmer's market). I hope to go down there and score some
lovely plants.

My husband keeps pestering me about the plants too. He saw
how much fun I was having just pulling up weeds an resolved
to get me more to plant. He keeps pestering me about celosia,
though. I can't stand the look of it. There. I've confessed.
But I suspect I'll have to plant it again just for him even
though I find it hideously ugly.

Now, as for SCA-related plants, I'm hoping to find someone
who'll split their feverfew and loan me some St. John's
Wort. I'll probably cruise through the flower shops and
garden centers out country way and see if I can find some
of the lesser-known herbs that city garden stores don't
usually carry. Ultimately, I'd like to grow a few on my
own for A&S projects. In essence, you can open up to a
random page of Gerard and pick a project from the page
you land on. I'd like to plant a few small crops of the most
common herbs to our area that would equate to ones a
standard manor might have had available to them for the
most common health complaints (that, and my Laurel
tasked me to research it a long time ago and I'd like to
make her proud by overachieving...she's just expecting
a research report, not the real things. *grin*)

With hope, I'll also be able to plant a crop of stuff for another
feast. Nobody tell my husband though, because he things I still
need a break from this past one. :)

Jasmine
iasmin de cordoba