HERB - Two Qvestions

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Thu May 4 15:39:39 PDT 2000

Jenne Heise wrote:

> Speaking of fragrances, I've finally given in and decided to do a class
> for an Arabian event on Fragrant oils and Sweet waters... anybody got
> special suggestions for reading or for technique?

Platt's _Jewel House of Art & Nature_

As an example...

p16 of the chapter on distillation
7. How to sweeten the oyle of Almonds with the afore said oils, so as the same
may serve the perfumer instead of the oile of Benn, which is made of the Italian
nuts

p9
1. Diverse sorts of sweete, or hand waters made sodainely, or extempore with the
said oiles

Martha Washington also has a number of recipes in the Booke of Sweetmeats

eg

318. To Make Sweet Water to Perfume Cloaths in the Foulding After They are
washed

BTW, does anyone know what oil of Benn is mundanely called, and where I should
look to get some?

-Magdalena