HERB - powdery mildew

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Fri May 5 15:02:47 PDT 2000

Leonara kindly wrote:

>Sounds like powdery mildew which does affect both of those.  Make up a
>spray of a bit of baking soda and a drop or two of detergent and spritz on
>them every other day. The best cure is to put them outdoors, though.

For the powdery mildew on the rosemary, I will
politely disagree depending on the severity of
the infestation. If the mildew seems especially
bad, your rosemary sadly may be beyond hope.

There is something you can try, however. You
have a chance of saving it that I can recommend
as having worked for me approximately 50% of
the time.

Take your rosemary post and wrap it in a garbage
bag. Tie off of tape the garbage bag at the base
of the rosemary so the plant sticks out, but the
dirt and pot are securely covered by the bag.

Find a bucket or pot to hold water. Choose one that
is at least as tall as your rosemary plant is tall
from the top of the plant to the point where it enters
the soil.

Fill you bucket with 1 part soap to roughly 8 parts
room temperature water. Swish the soap around so
it's completely distributed with the water.

Dip your rosemary plant upside-down and swish the
plant around so the soapy water touches all of the
leaves.

Set the plant out in a semi shaded area with good
circulation. You want it to get very bright indirect
light and you want it to thoroughly dry.

Repeat the soapy water dip every other day for
a week.

I don't guarantee that it will work for you, but
it has worked for me in the past. Simple spritzing
typically doesn't work for me at all in bad cases.

I hope this helps, best of luck!

jasmine
iasmin de cordoba