HERB - how to root cuttings

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Sat May 6 07:58:51 PDT 2000

Gentle Cousin,

There are several different ways to root cuttings.  For the mint family
(look for square stems), I am pretty lazy.  In general, the mint family
likes to root and spread and is a pretty easy keeper.

First find a strong stem with lots of healthy leaves.  Where the leaf
enters the stem is called a node.  I take a 4" cutting about half-an-inch
above a node (for the health of the parent plant, extra stem can invite
disease).  Cut off the bottom 2 sets of leaves (within reason - you want 1
or 2 nodes with in about 2").  Put the cutting in a small pot of soiless
rooting medium or sterile light potting soil (ask at your local greenhouse
- they should have bags).  Keep moist but not wet.  Give good light without
being burning direct light.

The roots should strike in a month or so.  You will know the cutting is a
plant when it starts to set on new growth and when you *gently* tug at it -
it is firmly rooted in the soil.

Or you can stick them in a glass of water.  But I find that this takes
longer.  You have to then put them in soil and get them used to that.  Then
put them out to harden off, before planting in the garden.  But it also
does work.  Somethings this is the only way.  Just experiment.

With cuttings in rooting medium, I just do it all outside in the spring.  I
root mostly perenials anyway.  They are all hardened off and ready to go
when every they are rooted.  I have 12 purple sage, 12 sage off., and some
other bits and pieces out there right now!

Take care and happy rooting!
Leonora
Outlands

At 05:43 AM 5/6/00 -0700, you wrote:

>> good to hear - it is so odd to take cuttings of a mint and carefully root
>> them and then transplant them.  I have a 10' square patch that I want to be
>> blue balsm for use in our teas.  Everytime someone gets longer than 3", I
>> cut him off and root him.  ;-)
>
>Might I inquire how you root it?  I'm still new to this planting business
- first
>time I've had any room.  I know with some plants you stick them in a glass of
>water on the window sill - is this true of all plants or are their different
>ways?
>
>Christina N.

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

 Doing the right thing starts first thing in the morning, Sparky.  Not
after you are caught.
                              -John Criton, FarScape