HERB - Two Questions

Elizabeth Zagula ezagula at srv.net
Mon May 8 14:59:45 PDT 2000

Magdalena wrote:

> BTW, does anyone know what oil of Benn is mundanely called, and where I
should
> look to get some?

I have seen this referred to as Oil of Benjamin which the glossary in the
back of Hugh Plat's "Delights for Ladies" list it as Beniamin as says it is
Frankincense.  It is also listed in the glossary of Gervase Markham's "The
English Housewife" as benjamin, a resin from the tree Liquidamber
orientalis.  I have also read that it is actually benzoin or storax, a gum
resin.  Anybody else have more insight??

I am going to use Oil of Frankincense as a substitute for Oil of Benjamin
for some of the works being competed.  Does anyone have a better
suggestion??