HERB - Two Qvestions

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu May 18 17:21:13 PDT 2000

Still wondering about our friend Oil of Benn:

> p16 of the chapter on distillation
> 7. How to sweeten the oyle of Almonds with the afore said oils, so as the same
> may serve the perfumer instead of the oile of Benn, which is made of the Italian
> nuts

I just came across 'oil of Bene' in the 1945 edition of Clarkson's Herbs:
their culture and uses. (Great beginner book, by the way; chapters on all
sorts of things to do with herbs including dyes (with a chart of what dyes
make what colors), fragrances, vinegars, etc.)

Bene, according to Clarkson, is Sesame. Or rather, Sesame is Bene, since
she lists the herb under Bene with a see: reference under Sesame. Could
that be it?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
	"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."