HERB - Pregnancy tea?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun May 21 21:43:06 PDT 2000

Good Gentles of the Herb List,
	I have been lurking recently as I have had many other things on my
plate, but a few of the messages I have seen over the past few days have
concerned me.  I do not wish to point fingers at anyone, but I would like
to stress the importance of not prescribing anything to anyone.  I know
this sounds like a 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink' sort of affair, "oh, yes,
we can't let the FDA know we're taking herbs to actually -cure-
anything", but that isn't all of it.  The main problem with saying "Take
this, it's good for  you", is that you never know how someone will react
to something.  I work for a large natural foods store, and this fact is
drilled into our heads continuously, and for good reason.  An individual
stands to be fined up to $250,000 for one offence.  A store can be fined
up to a million.   Not only can you run afoul of the government, but it
is not the wisest course of action, either.  To take the discussion of
herbs for pregnancy going on just now, there are herbs to strengthen the
uterus, and herbs to help start contractions, all which need to be taken
at specific times.  By describing the actions of the herbs, the
'structure and function', you can give someone the information they need
to determine if a particular herbal therapy is right for them.
	The example I use in my training classes is this.  I had a woman walk
into the Herb Dept. one day and ask me for Echinacea.  I handed her a
bottle of Ech. tincture, and she walked away.  She stopped and thought
about it for a minute, and then walked back up to me and said "Maybe I
should get goldenseal.  What do you recommend?"  I said, "Well, let me
explain the function of the two.  Echinacea works with your bone marrow,
thymus and spleen to produce more white blood cells and boost your immune
system.  Goldenseal works more as a mucous membrane flush, pulling toxins
out and working well with upper respiratory congestion."  She thought
about that for a minute and then said "Gee, I have a hyperactive immune
system, I guess I shouldn't be taking Echinacea, huh?"  Now, a
hyperactive immune system is not that common these days, usually between
pollution, diet, American lifestyle, etc., our immune systems are rather
suppressed.  So, if I had just said, "Oh, yes, echinacea is good for
colds" I would have been giving her inappropriate information.  By giving
her a rundown of the actions of the specific items, she was able to add
that to her own medical history and make an informed decision.
	If, when listing red raspberry leaf as helpful for pregnancy and giving
the appropriate actions of the herb, the lady asking could have put that
information together with what she knows about her own condition and
could then make a plan for supplementation tailored to herself.  It also
makes you a better herbalist/wise woman/healer, because you empower those
who seek advice with the power to help themselves.  I feel this is all
important, and the basis for what is wrong with the health system in
America today (but that is another rant.)
	Yours in service to better health through natural means, but safely,
	Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies