Jams and jellies Re: HERB - Dandilions

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Mon May 22 06:10:46 PDT 2000

Melandra asked:

>What is the difference between a jam and and Conserve??   I remember reading
>some place that Elizabeth Rex ate lavendar conserve on an almost daily
>basis...

Keeping in mind that these are all modern, mundane definitions in
North America ...

jelly -- made with the juice of fruit
jam -- made with a single type of crushed or mashed fruit pieces
preserve -- made with whole fruit (thus "preserving" it) in a jelly
conserve -- a jam or preserve made with multiple types of crushed
       or mashed fruit pieces, usually because one of the fruits lacks
       the necessary natural pectin to "gel" properly

Note that I've not included sugar or boxed/bottled pectin in
any of these descriptions. I don't always use them.

>Does anyone have a recipie for a basic conserve?

Not a period recipe, no. But I made a lovely black cherry and
red raspberry conserve a couple of years back...

jasmine
iasmin de cordoba