HERB - OT: RECIPE cherry-raspberry conserve

Gaylin iasmin at home.com
Wed May 24 05:24:59 PDT 2000

I toyed with sending this privately, but then I figured
you all would shoot me if I didn't let everyone see it. :)

I don't remember where I got this recipe. I have a feeling
I created it after reading a recipe in the Ball Blue Book
and another in the Farm Journal's Freezing and Canning
Cookbook. I hope this works. Follow basic canning rules
and you should be okay. -- Jasmine

Black Cherry-Red Raspberry Conserve

6 cups pitted, whole black cherries
2 cups raspberries
2 2/3 cups white sugar

Combine all the ingredients in a heavy-bottomed
saucepan. Simmer until thick, stirring frequently
to prevent sticking, about 20-40 minutes.

Ladle hot conserve into hot jars (1/4-inch headspace)
and seal. (Optional: continue with boiling-water
canning process for 15 minutes to ensure the jars
seal properly).

Alternatives: To keep the raspberry seeds out of
the conserve, press the fruit through a sieve or food
mill before adding them to the cherries. Be sure
to measure 2 cups pulp after the seeds are removed.

Yield: 2+ pints