HERB - Pregnancy tea?

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Tue May 23 17:45:49 PDT 2000

I've been laid up in bed several days, so forgive me if I'm behind.

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> Good Gentles of the Herb List,
>  <Snip> The main problem with saying "Take
> this, it's good for  you", is that you never know how someone will react
> to something.  <Snip>

> By describing the actions of the herbs, the

> 'structure and function', you can give someone the information they need
> to determine if a particular herbal therapy is right for them.
> <Snip>
>         If, when listing red raspberry leaf as helpful for pregnancy and giving
> the appropriate actions of the herb, the lady asking could have put that
> information together with what she knows about her own condition and
> could then make a plan for supplementation tailored to herself.  It also
> makes you a better herbalist/wise woman/healer, because you empower those
> who seek advice with the power to help themselves.

I'll second this.

When I was pregnant last fall, I stopped drinking (my main source) ALL herbs until
I could research them one by one.  Red raspberry was on my mental list of herbs
I'd seen recommended for pregnancy, so it was on the research list and I hoped to
incorporate it soon.

As it happened, I miscarried before I got to any research.  (Therefore, I had no
herbs but cooking spices.)

I know, now, that raspberry "strenghtens" the uterus by helping cause
contractions.  (The same way you strenghten any muscle.)  I can safely avoid it in
my next pregnancy, but if I had taken it because it was "good for pregnancy" and
then miscarried...I don't want to think about that.
--Katherine